Our Home Learning Adventure

I truly believe that learning starts at birth and continues until the end. It is the most natural human endeavor, like love. In fact the two are so closely entwined! Freedom to explore and play, allowance to self-direct, and a wealth of exposure to all the wonders, minutae, and even ugliness of real life are what continue to nurture the drive and passion to learn that children are born with. What a joy it is to observe, participate and learn anew along with them!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Daniel on Montessori Pre School

"I'm the kind of kid who likes to explore, search, find the right path....
That's why my Montessori pre-school is so boring for me, you can only do the things you already know, again and again, but can't explore the new works until someone shows you, can't work on it and figure it out yourself.", said my little dude.
I said, "Yeh, I know."

Why does he go, then?  You may ask.  It is something his father has chosen for him.  I think it has been a fairly good learning experience, a taste of what a certain kind of "school" can be like, a chance to meet people away from his mother or father, to work with some other adults.  He has spent a lot of time doing metal insets, a kind of stencil that helps children learn pencil control.  This has given him a chance to do a lot of drawing which he does on the back of or inside his stenciled shapes.  He's discovered he likes art, likes to draw, create, and has much more control now of pens and pencils.  For a long time it is mostly what he did there, a way of passing time in silence that has now become something he does at home too.  He's also become a pretty good teacher both in my style, and in the Montessori style.  His teachers have said that he's wonderful with the other children, mostly younger than him, patient, a good role model.  Hhhhm, I wonder where he got that practice from?
There's more to be said....later perhaps.
All in all, I believe he feels it's a waste of time, and I tend to agree, with the same time he could be doing other kinds of classes.  Exploring more deeply ideas and activities that he's really interested in.

No comments: