Our Home Learning Adventure

I truly believe that learning starts at birth and continues until the end. It is the most natural human endeavor, like love. In fact the two are so closely entwined! Freedom to explore and play, allowance to self-direct, and a wealth of exposure to all the wonders, minutae, and even ugliness of real life are what continue to nurture the drive and passion to learn that children are born with. What a joy it is to observe, participate and learn anew along with them!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

On The Way to Firemaker


Going to Firemaker at Camp Barnard, Sooke - http://www.firemaker.org/ - was one of the best decisions of the year.  Luckily I was inspired, and got in immediate action to organize funds, time off and borrow almost all the camping gear and a ride from the ferry all at the last minute.  Thanks to so much generosity from friends and strangers alike, my son and I made it to this amazing community building survival skills camp out with just one unplanned yet fortuitous detour on the way.  Due to a traffic accident, our bus to Twassen was late so we missed the planned 6pm ferry, and therefore our ride from Swartz to Sooke.  On the ferry we met a mama and 4 year old who suggested we stay in Sidney and helped me find a cheap hotel to stay in.  What a great decision!  Though I initially felt stranded by my ride - this is the first trip I've made with my son that isn't to my folks





No comments: